- Bob Stayton is the principal consultant with Sagehill
Enterprises, an independent center for DocBook development
- Bob has been engaged in computer-based publishing since
1980, starting with WordStar and a daisy wheel printer,
progressing to desktop publishing and laser printers, and
now implementing XML-based publishing systems for multiple
- As Architect of Technical Publications at The SCO Group
from 1989 to 2003, Bob designed and implemented computer-based
publishing systems for technical documentation. He also
designed and implemented the industry's first shipping online
help system based on HTML (1995).
- Bob works with technical writers and documentation managers
to create systems that really work. He feels technical writers
should concentrate on writing and technical accuracy, not
on struggling to produce properly formatted output. A properly
designed publishing system should handle all the production
- Bob is a member of OASIS,
and is Chairperson of the DocBook
Technical Committee that develops and maintains the
DocBook schema standard.
- Bob is a member of the technical team for the DocBook
Open Repository Project on SourceForge
and GitHub that develops
the stylesheets and other tools.
- Bob is a frequent contributor to the docbook-apps
mailing list, especially on the subject of DocBook XSL.
- Bob has been involved with DocBook since its beginning
in 1991 as a member of the Davenport Group.
- Bob is the author of DocBook
XSL: The Complete Guide.
- Bob is a member of the Independent
Computer Consultants Association.